Friday, August 2, 2013

REVIEW: In a World Like This - Backstreet Boys [Track by Track]

I love how Backstreet Boys music is relevant news. 

Remember that post I made when I first started this blog about boy bands and Backstreet Boys' new album was coming out?

Well, here it is. My first-impression review on their album album In a World Like This.

It was difficult to pin this album down with a generalized review, so I opted to do my first Track by Track review!
(There are a lot of tracks and I try to be concise but it's still a tad bit on the longer side)

Note: * = RECOMMENDED TRACK

*01.) In a World Like This
So far the title track is the best-selling on iTunes, and I can see why. It's really catchy and mixes the old Backstreet Boys sound with some more modern twists. It's seems fluffy and standard boy band pop on the surface, the music video (below) can put the lyrics into perspective: no matter what happens, we can make it through. The video is really cute, too, and shows acceptance of all kinds of love! Right on, BSB. Plus, their excellent voices really make up for the twinges of cliché-ness. Also I'm a big fan of the bridge and the 5-part harmony.



02.) Permanent Stain
This track features a prominent beat and is more of a electronic dance ballad. It's much like what we're used to listening to, concerning pop music anyway. Not my favorite or supremely profound or anything, but a good song to dance to and rather catchy. 


*03.) Breathe
The more I listen to this album, the more I realize how much One Direction's sound reminds me of Backstreet Boys. This track reminds me of a mix of More Than This and a slower version of Stole My Heart. It's a really sweet tune.


04.) Madeleine
A sunny acoustic track that's reminiscent of a teenage boy serenading his sweetheart. It's rather sweet and encouraging: "Rise up, rise up, rise up Madeleine/ The sun will come out again." The bright notes compliment the main acoustic guitar. Quite cheerful and very cotton candy-esque.


*05.) Show 'Em (What You're Made Of)
Powerful bass drum and an excellent pumped-up ballad to make you feel empowered. Staying away from the love-centric lyrics, the chorus really gets me. Vaguely reminds me of a feeling you would get from I Believe I Can Fly by R. Kelly. On the slow side but relatable. Excellent track. One of the best ones on the album.


07.) Try
This song really threw me back to the old boy band we know and loved. We're back into the love-dovey stuff with this real R&B vibe and strong vibrato, the "ooh-ooh-ooh"s really add to the bluesy feel. Soulful and slow, with a groovy steel guitar twanging in the background. 


08.) Trust Me
First words that comes to mind when listening to this song: beach & summer. The piano adds a nice touch to the groovy overtone. Not gonna lie, it seems a little cheesy. It's okay, not anything special. The bridge is arguably the best part of the song, but other than that it doesn't impress me much. Good, but not great.



09.) Love Somebody
Meh. It's kinda cutesy, all about how much they love someone no matter what. I'm sure people in love and die-hard romantics would love this song, but I find it a little too generic for my liking. Doesn't do anything for me. Sorry boys, not a fan of this one.


12.) Soldier
Lovey-dovey, but still kind of sweet. Playing on the idea of protecting your loved one(s) from suffering. Nice beat and a nice idea. Again, kind of on the generic pop side, but still a decent song.



BONUS TRACKS: (Surprisingly a lot of these)

 In Your Arms
Like In a World Like This, it's quite the dance anthem. I enjoy it. There's not much to comment on this one, I just like it.


*Take Care
A track that starts of slow and reminds me of Soldier, it takes an interesting turn. It's very different from the typical pop song, which really attracts me to the track. Uplifting and out of the box.


**Light On
Oh man, why is this only a bonus track?! Probably one of the best tracks on the album. Really bright and melodious, harks back to classic Backstreet Boys. Love love love it!


Hot, Hot, Hot
This track is okay, it's not my favorite. Yeah, it's kind of shallow (basically talking about how hot someone is), but it's dance-worthy.


Final Verdict:
Lots of variety musically, moderately lyrically. Nothing will ever top classic Backstreet Boys, but it's still excellent and there are a few songs that live up to their old caliber. 

Even though I said "generic pop" a lot, honestly that's part of what makes Backstreet Boys awesome. Listening to their old stuff makes you realize that simple lyrics can be just as awesome as deep, complex ones. It doesn't necessarily affect the quality of the music.



Thanks for reading, and tell me what your favorite track is off the new album in the comments!

Till next time xx,

Sierra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...