Monday, May 13, 2013

Monday Mix/Mix It #1 - Boy Bands

For my first Monday Mix (and first post in Favorite Things), I'm gonna talk about something near and dear to my heart: boy bands!

Boy bands have been around for awhile, beginning with the Monkees, the Osmonds, and the Beatles that served as the modern template for current boy groups. Now I know there are some mix feelings about these teen heartthrobs and possibly some eye-rolling and faked gagging will ensue, but hear me out. They're typically popular among the teenage female demographic, but actually, anyone can like boy bands! I'm going to be talking about some of my favorites groups. Okay, here we go!

The Backstreet Boys
from left to right: Kevin Richardson, Brian Littrel, A.J. McLean,
Nick Carter, Howie Dorough
The Backstreet Boys formed in 1993 in Orlando, Florida and have sold over 130 million records worldwide. This makes them the most successful boy band of ALL. TIME. Unusual for most bands/groups, they are still together after forming 20 years ago, with their most recent album released in 2009. They are currently working another studio album (great news for die-hard fans like myself!).

was am a big fan of this group ever since I was seven years old, listening to my HitClips of "I Want It That Way" and "Shape of My Heart" (I mean, who couldn't help but sing along?). The songs are so catchy and seem to speak to our souls, pre-pubescent or otherwise.

Also, look how gorgeous they are! Who couldn't love those faces?

As cheesy and simple as the lyrics or how goofy the music videos can be (which I still went ga-ga over anyway), they have reserved a special place in my heart and therefore at the top of the list. And in their defense, lots of things in the 90s were ridiculous and goofy, behold the gloriously awkward fashion trends of the decade.

My favorite songs from them are Shape of My HeartShow Me The Meaning Of Being Lonely (my current jam), InconsolableLarger Than LifeI Want It That Way, and As Long As You Love Me (not to be confused with the Justin Bieber tune).


left to right: Chris Kirtpatrick, Lance Bass,
 Justin Timberlake, JC Chasez, Joey Fatone, 
'N Sync
Though not as successful as the Backstreet Boys but still wildly popular, 'N Sync had their fair share of fame around the same time period. The group formed in 1995 also in Orlando, Florida (I'm not sure what it is about Orlando being a breeding ground for popular boy bands, but go figure).

The band broke up in 2002 due to frontman Timberlake wanting to focus on a solo career. Now it seems that Justin barely acknowledges his involvement with 'N Sync, the launching pad to his success not only as a musician but as an actor. It's okay, Justin. I loved you with your blonde curly locks, and I still love you now.
Justin Timberlake then and now, looking critically upon his former self.
Yes, Justin, that's really you.
Along with Backstreet, I also had the No Strings Attached album as part of my first CD collection (back when people still used CDs). In fact, several boys in our theatre department memorized the "Bye Bye Bye" dance and performed it at our end-of-the-year banquet (and may I say, it was swoon-worthy). 

Favorite songs by 'N Sync: This I Promise YouHere We GoIt's Gonna Be MePop, and Bye, Bye, Bye
McFly
left to right: Tom Fletcher, Danny Jones, Dougie Poynter, Harry Judd
The British pop band McFly technically isn't a boy band because they play instruments, but I'm including them anyway. I first got into McFly when I was a freshman in high school thanks to my best friend, who was just as big of a fanatic alongside me. 


McFly formed in 2003 in England. They have sold more than 10 million records worldwide and broke the record the Beatles (a boy band in their own right) had previously set for the youngest band to ever have an album debut to number 1. They have released 5 studio albums, 4 compilation albums, and have written songs for other bands such as One Direction.

I think one of the main appeals of boy bands/groups is how the members are usually young, attractive men. I know I had favorites (*cough Danny Jones cough*), as many do in each example I've given so far. I mean, a group of cute guys with musical talent? Formula for success.

McFly hasn't released a new album since 2010, but they are still working in the music industry and have not officially broken up. We may see a new album from them yet!

Favorite songs include: Star Girl; Walk In The Sun; Please, Please; and We Are The Young. (I actually own every song they've produced...oops?)


One Direction
left to right: Liam Payne, Niall Horan, Zayn Malik,
Louis Tomlinson, and Harry Styles
Next up is this more recent boy band. There's hardly anyone that doesn't know about this British worldwide hit, One Direction. These boys have revived the boy band trend.

Since their first appearance as a group, formed by Simon Cowell on The X Factor UK 2010, they have gained an increasing fan base.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I've been a fan of One Direction since their time on X Factor. They've exploded in popularity, selling out concerts a year in advance.

There's undeniable charm and talent with these boys. Though some are embarrassed to say they enjoy them, I say this: like what you like. They're a great band with unique personalities. What's not to love?

My favorite songs from these boys are C'mon, C'mon; Heart Attack, Back For You, I Would (written by McFly's Tom Fletcher!), and Tell Me A Lie.


 *~*~*~*

So, I realize this post is sorta long, but thank you for sticking around this far and I hope you enjoyed me conveying my love for these great boy bands. 

Side-note: I know there's sort of a stigma with being a fan of a boy band if you're not a tween/teenage girl (or heck, even if you ARE a teenage girl there's some backlash). You should NEVER have to feel ashamed for loving boy bands (or anything that makes you happy, however)! They're one of the best things to come out of the music industry, in my humble opinion. So if you wanna blast your Jonas Brothers or Boyz II Men and dance along in your room, go for it! 

Do you have a favorite boy band that I didn't mention on this list? Who are your favorite members? Are you a closet fan or are you open about your love for them? I'd love to hear about it! Leave me a comment below with your answer :)

That concludes my first Monday Mix and Favorite Things! Woooo!

Till next time xx,

Sierra


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...