Friday, July 19, 2013

(WATCH) Panic! At The Disco's new single: 'Are You Nasty?" (BONUS Mash-Up)

Hello everyone! So I've been kind of M.I.A for a few days, I know. But I'm making up for it now.

If you haven't heard, Panic! at the Disco just announced their upcoming album To Weird To Live, Too Rare To Die! to drop on October 8th, 2013, as well as a string of upcoming tour dates (including a handful of shows with Fall Out Boy on their Save Rock and Roll tour).

(source)
The new single "Miss Jackson (feat. Lolo)" is loud and intense. The video is gritty, dark, edgy, and a far cry from Nine in the Afternoon. Our frontman is roaming outside a motel in the Las Vegas desert looking for a darkly romantic "Miss Jackson," portrayed by Katrina Bowden.

After three years since their last album Vices & Virtues (one of the few albums that I enjoy every single track on), three-man band with Brendon Urie, Spencer Smith, and Dallon Weekes, is back with new material. This album has especially personal meaning for the band, taking its title from the book Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson and Panic!'s hometown being Las Vegas.
"The songs I was writing came from me seeing Vegas in a new light...when we left Vegas, we were 17, 18 and we were pretty bitter because we couldn't do all the things everyone else could. We couldn't play gigs, we weren't allowed in the bars, so we were pissed off," he said. "But in the past couple years I've visited Vegas quite a bit, and I started doing things I never thought I would do, like going out to clubs, and for some reason that really struck a chord with me. People go there to lose themselves in the moment, and drop their guard, and it hit me in a way. Like, 'Wow, I want to do that. I want to make music like that, that moves people, that's a party, that makes you feel good.'" (SOURCE)
Their single, titled "Miss Jackson (ft. Lolo)", has a very similar sound to Fall Out Boy's first single "My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light 'Em Up)."Makes sense, the two bands are similar in style, genre, and are good friends. But in no way is this track a copycat. According to several fans, Panic! has been working on this album for awhile, even before Fall Out Boy's famous comeback.

(While you're at it, check out this amazing mash-up of the two tracks, "Miss Jackson Knows What You Did In The Dark"It's as if they were made to fit together.)

According to a recent interview with MTV, frontman Brendon Urie discussed the meaning behind the song itself:
(source)
'Miss Jackson' is about something that actually happened to me when I was younger. I hadn't really talked about it, and I felt that if I didn't, I would keep thinking about it, it would drive me crazy,' Urie said. 'When I was younger, I would mess around; I'd sleep with one girl one night, sleep with her friend the next night, and not care about how they felt, or how I made them feel. And then it happened to me and I realized 'Wow, that's what that feels like? I feel really shitty.'
I predict that this album will be more amazing than the last few purely because of where the content comes from: the heart. Specifically, the rough experiences of the band's beginnings.

Of course most songwriting comes from the heart anyway, but they're exploring the upheaval of their past and how Panic! has stayed strong through it all. It makes for powerful material. They're coming full circle and it's a nice refresher for bands to revisit their past. I look forward to great things, as I did with Fall Out Boy. Let's hope they don't disappoint.

Sure, it's a newer sound, but that doesn't mean it's bad.

"Miss Jackson (ft. Lolo)" is now on YouTube and available on iTunes. Check it out.

Here below are Panic!'s most recent upcoming tour dates, click here for more tour information on Alternative Press.

Aug 1 - The 92.9 Concert at Copley - Boston, MA
Aug 3 - The Piazza at Schmidt's - Philadelphia, PA 
Aug 4 - Jewish Mother - Norfolk, VA 
Aug 5 - Canal Club - Richmond, VA 
Aug 7 - 12th & Porter - Nashville, TN 
Aug 9 - Jack Rabbits - Jacksonville, FL 
Aug 10 - Jannus Live - Tampa, FL 
Aug 12 - 20th Century Theatre - Cincinnati, OH 
Aug 13 - Firebird - St. Louis, MO 
Aug 14 - Radio Radio - Indianapolis, IN 
Aug 17 - Main Street Armory (94.1 The Zone's Bonzai) - Rochester, NY 
Aug 19 - B-Ryders - Bakersfield, CA 
Aug 20 - Velvet Jones - Santa Barbara, CA 
Aug 21 - The New Starline - Fresno, CA 
Aug 22 - Alley - Reno, CA 
Aug 24 - Gallivan Center - Salt Lake City, UT

As always, feel free to leave comments below!

Till next time xx,

Sierra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...