Thursday, June 6, 2013

Days #6 & #7 Sláinte from Ireland (05-06 June 2013)

The last two days we've been galavanting all over Dublin, Ireland. The first day we got here, we took a ferry from Scotland, across the Irish Sea to the town of Belfast. Belfast is in Northern Ireland, which considers itself as part of the UK and therefore uses pounds instead of euros. We took a bus tour of Belfast with a local guide, which was very informative. We passed the Titanic monument visitor center thing, and it was quite impressive. Overall, Belfast was okay not my favorite but not terrible. We didn't stay there very long.
After that we drove several hours to Dublin in the southern part of the country. What's really cool is that all the street signs are in Gaelic and English, because Gaelic, or just simply Irish, is the official language of the country though seldom speak it in everyday life. For dinner we went to The Brazen Head, the oldest pub in Ireland which was founded in 1198 A.D.

The next day we got up early and started the day. We had another local guide talk to us about Dublin, and then soon after we set out to Glendalough, a monastery site in the countryside about an hour from Dublin city. It was beautiful out there. So far it's my favorite countryside out of all of them. The monastery was also really awesome. It had a big graveyard so I know nana would have loved it. The oldest dating grave we found was in the year 1784. We also got some food from a little kiosk in the parking lot and I got some Celtic knot earrings.
After that they dropped us straight off into the heart of the city. I got a couple things while I was there. Our driver, Marc, said he was going to pick us all up at 3:55 pm, but as we walked down the street about 2:45 pm he honked at us and told us he was leaving without us. Made us think we were late even though Chris said about 5 times that it would be at 3:55 pm. We waited by Trinity Collegr, which has been around since the 1600s and holds the Book of Kells. I might be able to study there one semester in a year or two!
The bus picked us up, on time, and took us to the Guinness storehouse. There they taught us the Irish word for "cheers" which is "Sláinte." I think the Irish language is really cool and I wouldn't mind learning it. 
From there we took a tour of how Guinness is made and we got to taste it and get a free pint. I got carded, again. I guess I don't look 19. I sense a trend in the future. Marc also told me not to have more than one, but if I did I could have his share because he hates the stuff. I didn't think it was all that bad. The guy even decorated the foam with a little shamrock design! We drank our pints in the Gravity Bar on the top floor of the giant pint glass of a building. The top was all clear windows so we could see all of Dublin from up there.

After that we went straight to the Irish cabaret. The food wasn't that great but the entertainment was awesome! They had river dancers, singers, and an old Irishman who has been doing comedy for 50 years! He was really hilarious. The show was really a treat.
 What I really love about Ireland is the I'm Irish myself and I feel tied to this country. I mean, I love London and England and Scotland. And even though I have English blood as well, I love the culture of Ireland and am proud to be Irish.
So now I'm a tad sunburned (who gets sunburned in IRELAND?) and extremely exhausted. We head to Waterford in the morning and get to see even more of the beautiful, pastoral countryside.

Till next time xx,

Sierra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...