Monday, June 3, 2013

Day #2 - London exploration (01 June 2013)

So forgive me the multiple posts, I didn't write our last night in London, and then I was at a hotel last night that wanted to charge me £5 an hour for Internet. Um, no thank you.

Since I had severe jet lag, I slept for 11 straight hours and got up around 9:30 am the morning of the 1st. We then had breakfast and were on our way.

After walking around a little the day before, we went straight to Westminster Abbey and paid 18 quid each. Once we walked in, we realised that it was worth it. It was absolutely gorgeous inside the church. They had free audio tours, so we took a device and walked around. We saw the burial sites of monarchs such as Elizabeth the First, her sister Mary, Richard III, and many English poets and writers such as Charles Dickens, Chaucer, Jane Austen, Ruyard Kipling, and many others in the area called the Poet's Corner. That was my favourite part of the Abbey.
After that we stopped at Parliament Square where we witnessed a protest against the BNP (British National Party) and figured out where we were going. The protest was quite the ordeal, though. 58 arrests in all.
Then we walked to Trafalgar Square, where I took a picture at Nelson's Coloumn and then went into the National Gallery which is a giant art museum. I also got swindled by a lady who wanted me to draw my flag on the ground and then told me after I did it that it she said I owed her 2 pounds! How ridiculous is that?
The gallery was cry nice, and then we took the Tube to Oxford Circus, which is a big, busy intersection where you can cross normally or diagonally, which I find rather clever. We hunted for the London Kua 'Aina and after going the wrong way many times, we finally found it. We each had a burger and it was surprisingly awesome! We told the waiter that we travelled all the way from Hawaii to eat there, and he asked me to show my Hawaii driver's license because kama'aina discount applied. I thought he was joking, but when I showed it to him he gave us £2 off! 


After that we had some time so we went shopping at the giant H&M on Oxford street and I got two things. I also bought a Union Jack for my room and some gifts. Then we met up with Hulali and her parents for dinner that evening and had an awesome time. We had Hungarian, which definitely helped to broaden our horizons. Overall a great day in London. 




Till next time xx, 

Sierra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...